The Rutan-Becket House, ca 1848, was constructed by William Henry Rutan. Mr. Rutan and his brother James M .Rutan owned and operated a shipyard just south of the house along the shores of the Arthur Kill from about 1850 to the late 1870s. He was also the Supervisor of the Township of Westfield from 1858 to 1861 as well as a member of the NY State Assembly in 1864.

The house remained in the Rutan family until 1910. In 1950, after a period of abandonment and neglect, Walter Becket and his wife Carol purchased the house, ‘modernizng it’ to which it remains unaltered today. From its stainless steel Tappan wall oven, boomerang design Formica countertops, and authentic period furnishings – the Rutan-Becket House is a preserved time capsule of 1950s American decor style.

The house is currently used for art events and programming. It is open for tours by appointment only.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email